Thursday, July 30, 2015

The Cross of Christ: The Gospel

1 Corinthians 1:17-18:

(KJV)

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.
 
For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish, foolishness; but unto us which are saved, it is the power of God.

(NIV)

For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel--not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power.
 
For the message of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.

This song "Onward Christian Soldiers" happened to follow after another song I was listening to this morning and I heard the words, "♫...we are not divided, all one body we...♪", and I thought, "well AMEN"! There aren't to be divisions in the Body of Christ.

I sang this song at VBS. I looked up the lyrics...the words meant little to me then, but today they minister to me: the Body of Christ is God's army and Jesus Christ is the Captain of our warfare. Those words: "...♪ with the cross of Jesus, going on before ♫ ..." , that is not those two pieces of wood that they nailed Jesus to. These verses in 1 Corinthians 1, tell us the cross of Christ and the gospel are the same! And the gospel is power! Hallelujah!!

We can find that in Romans 1.

Romans 1:16

For I am not ashamed of the GOSPEL of Christ for it is the POWER OF GOD unto salvation, to EVERYONE that BELIEVETH; to the Jew first and all to the Greek, for therein is the righteousness of God revealed.

Therein, refers to the gospel.

Well what is the gospel? The bible tells us.

It is defined in 1 Corinthians 15:

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

4 And that he was buried, and that he rose again the third day according to the scriptures:

Therefore, as soldiers in the Body of Christ, we are to take up our cross (the GOSPEL--the POWER OF GOD), daily and follow Jesus, the Captain of our warfare!

Just some things I'm considering and meditating on this morning after hearing this song.

God Bless!

No comments:

Post a Comment